Or more plainly known as Chocolate Surprise Cake.
This is one of my favorite cakes and surprisingly easy. Here is the recipe:
12 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 package chocolate cake mix (and the stuff to make it)
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate mini-morsels (I have always used regular size, or none at all)
- Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan (standard size)
- Beat together cream cheese and sugar until smooth, then add egg and vanilla and beat until blended. Set aside.
- Prepare cake mix according to directions on box. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan, then evenly cover with the cream cheese mixture. (it doesn’t have to go to the edges, just make it have an equal amount all around)
- Bake until it passes the toothpick test, about 45-55 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack for 25 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.
- Now you can be creative. You can dust the cake with powdered sugar and if you want (or have the stuff) serve it with whipped cream and raspberries. (It is of course delicious with out the raspberries and cream too)
- I usually melt some chocolate and drizzle it over the top (as in my picture). To do this I melt white chocolate and drizzle it first, then I melt some chocolate chips and drizzle that. I just used red hots for accent, but you could go really gung-ho and make some chocolate leaves to go on top too.
My picture doesn’t show it but when this is baked the cream cheese filling ends up in the middle of the cake, it is really so good. To bad I didn’t get to eat this. I owed a lady in my ward a delicious chocolate dessert, so this went to her and her family!