So you wanna make this:
Well here’s how
Here is a list of everything you will need
- one box chocolate cake mix, any kind of chocolate will do.
- a double batch of your favorite frosting – vanilla buttercream
- pink food coloring (or what ever color you want)
- a batch of stabilized whipping cream (recipe to follow)
- 2 regular cake ice cream cones and 5 sugar cones
- toothpicks and colored paper for the flags (I used tissue paper)
- glue gun
- 4 bamboo skewers
- candy to decorate the castle, ( I used pink and white jelly bellies and the little silver balls, what are those called?,and pink sprinkles)
- cake decorating supplies, frosting bags and piping tips
First make the chocolate cake.
Take a box cake mix, and mix it up accoriding to it’s directions. Pour the mix into three square baking pans. (or 3 round ones if you want a round cake) If you don’t have 3 pans, which I suspect the normal population does not, then you can use only two pans, then split the layers in half (you will only use 3 of the 4 layers).
After your cakes are baked, cool them completely and then cut the tops off to make them flat ( they won’t be very tall).
Next step is to make the stabilized whipping cream:
1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
3 cups heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Combine gelatin with the water in a small saucepan and let it stand until thick. Over LOW heat, stir constantly until just dissolved. (this happens without it getting too hot). Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. It should still be liquid. (if it cools too long and starts to congeal, just put it back over the heat and stir to re-melt it)
Whip the cream, sugar and vanilla until slightly thick in a large mixing bowl. (I use my kitchen aid)
Turn the mixer on low and gradually add the gelatin, then beat on high until the cream is thick. (remember it needs to be able to support the cake- so make sure it is stable)
Next assemble the cake:
On your cake stand or whatever dish you are going to use, put down one layer of the chocolate cake. Now take some parchment paper or wax paper and line the edges of the dish, so that it won’t get all nasty while decorating.
Take about a little less than 1/2 of the whipping cream mixture and spread it on the bottom layer. Add another layer of chocolate and then most of the rest of the cream. Top with the final cake layer, putting the cut side down. Using the remaining cream even out the sides as best you can, so the cake is pretty square.
Take the bamboo skewers, and cut them down to about a 1/2 inch taller than the cake. Place one in each of the corners. I left them sticking up a bit so that they would be easier to find and remove when cutting and serving the cake. (the towers hide them anyway)
- Heat up your glue gun.
- Cut out 5 flag type shapes from the color paper and glue them to the tops of the toothpicks.
- Hot glue the ends of two regular cake cones together and glue a sugar one on top like this:
- Next you will need to break off the pointy tips of the sugar cones (4 plus the tower). You need to create an opening for the toothpicks to go into.
- Now hot glue in the flag toothpicks into each of the 5 sugar cones:
Use your favorite buttercream frosting recipe. I used THIS one from Magnolia, I followed the amounts for a 3 layer cake. (be prepared if you use it though, I had to add a lot of extra powdered sugar to get it firm enough to frost with) OR you can use THIS one from C&H. (click on “basic buttercream”) Make sure to double it.
Tint all but about 1-2 cups of the frosting pink.
Start with frosting the cone towers. They don’t have to look perfect. I added hot pink sprinkles to them.
Now you can frost the cake. It does need to be a bit thick to cover the cream. (here is where having the cake cold helps)
Add the Towers. Push them firmly into the frosting. (ok don’t go crazy with the pushing, you will push out the cream..)
Fill the piping bag with the white frosting. With a star tip pipe along the edges, top and side. I put a little silver ball on each star I made across the top. Next with a small round tip pipe a drawbridge door and a window on each side. Chloe wanted flowers so I made some vining flowers with light pink blossoms all along the walls. Now remove the wax paper from the stand and put jelly bellys all along the bottom perimiter of the castle. Add a big number candle on the top and you are done!
Serve the cake as soon as possible to avoid drooping!
Of course you can make this castle with just regular cake and frosting layers, and you can make the chocolate cream cake with a chocolate frosting too! YUM